Saturday, January 30, 2010

Examples of Five Modern Artists:



Willem de Kooning
Excavation
1950







I saw this piece at the Art Institute of Chicago. I'm generally not very interested in Abstract Expressionist Art, but nevertheless I stayed with this one a while to try and understand it a bit more. Once I got up close, I was amazed by the variations in the surface-- paint had been layered and scraped away, layered and scraped away, in what seemed a very deep and intentional texturing of the surface. I would love to see this again.






Jackson Pollock
Lavender Mist
1954








I confess that while I enjoy Pollock's work, I am much more moved by his process, and by the photographs of him at work-- squatting over the unstretched canvas, cans of paint at his side and a lit cigarette between his lips.






Lucio Fontana
Spatial Concept 'Waiting'
1960









I saw this piece at the Tate Modern when I was 16 and it completely blew my mind. The complete destruction of the picture plane and the mysterious void that lays beyond continues to dazzle me-- that such as basic, simple movement could have such resounding implications. This remains one of my favorite works of art.




Alexander Calder
Red Disc
1947













I love the whimsical quality of Calder's work. The elegance and liveliness of the way this piece balances on one point makes it seem almost alive.






Barnett Newman
Stations of the Cross : Third Station
1960













I was just introduced to this artist in the past week by a professor. I find the Stations of the Cross series very moving. I love that his visual vocabulary is so basic, but within his simple application of vertical lines, he is able to convey such a large range of emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment